Call: 252-444-1399

Emily, an 8yr old Beagle, came to EPH on May 18th, 2019, for eating rat poison.

In the specific type of poison that Emily decided to make her afternoon snack, Bromethalin was the active ingredient. Bromethalin is a neurotoxin that can cause rear limb paralysis, seizures, and even death. Yikes! Some of these symptoms can be delayed for several days after ingestion.

In Emily’s case, her owners were able to get her to EPH very quickly after she had eaten the rat poison in order to receive immediate medical attention. Emily stayed overnight at EPH to be monitored for any neurologic signs and we were able to send her home the next day!

Emily was so sweet during her stay with us and she was so excited to go home that we could hardly get a decent picture of her!